Founded in 2014, Sunbird Trust is a non-sectarian Civil Society Organization striving for Peace in conflict affected parts of North East India. Core objectives of Sunbird Trust are to bring communities to live and work together in harmony and to build bridges between people and the Armed Forces. The Trust engages with local communities through educating and empowering underprivileged children. Friendship is also built with people from other parts of India through child sponsorship and constructing hostels.
Sunbird Trust is headed by its Founder-CEO, Col Christopher Rego (Retd.), who served 32 years in the Army, including spending over eight years in North East India. The idea of Sunbird Trust originated in Mizoram in 2004 when Col. Chris and his wife Myrna informally started sponsoring underprivileged tribal children from their own resources. During his tenure in Manipur prior to retirement, Col Chris experienced the conflict firsthand and gained a deep knowledge of the issues that were fueling it and costing society heavily. Using this knowledge, he crystallized his strategy of “Peace Through Education”.
Sunbird Trust seeks to build peace and harmony by engaging with communities in the conflict zone through educating and empowering underprivileged children. Three primary areas of focus are:
- Child sponsorship to provide financial access to education
- Building schools and hostels to provide physical access to education
- Fostering integration and acceptance of diversity through posting Sunbird Team members in partner institutions
- 8 schools in remote areas of Manipur and Assam.
- 8 hostels supporting 380 boarders from remote areas of Manipur and Assam
- 630 underprivileged children in the Basic Nutrition Scheme
- 3,800 children in 53 partner institutions in states of Manipur, Nagaland, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. (These are run by partner individuals or organizations in collaboration with Sunbird Trust team members who are mostly Teach for India Fellows)
- 3 Computer Centers in schools at remote areas in Ijeirong, Singhat and Tamei in Manipur.
- 4 Community Halls constructed in partnership with Government Organizations
- 50 sponsored under-graduate students (including boarding) from North East India in Medicine, Engineering, Law, IT, Science, Hospitality and Social Work streams.
- 21 graduate alumni include an MD, Law School Graduate, an Army officer, an MBA, etc.
“We are excited about the partnership with Learn for Life Foundation. Thomas and I were school mates at St. Josephs Boys School, Bangalore. Together, we are focused on supporting the education of lesser resourced children, especially from India’s North East states” – Col. Christopher Rego (Retd), Founder, Sunbird Trust”
Click this link to learn more about Sunbird Schools in North East India
Please CLICK HERE to make your contribution
Please email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm payments or if you have any questions.