Mundgod is a small town located in the reserved forest area in the northern part of Karnataka.
The Jesuits have put in sustained effort to work for the integral development of the backward communities like Siddis (people of African origin, brought to Goa as slaves by the Portugese), Gowlis (cowherds), Lambanis (semi-nomadic group), Vaddars (stone-cutters) and Gollars (sheep-rearing) Muslims and other backward communities for the past 33 years.
Loyola Vikas Kendra, a social action center, works for the integral development of the poor, fighting for justice, building up their self-esteem, restoring human dignity, creating awareness, promoting health and hygiene, releasing them from the fetters of money lenders and eradicating poverty in Mundgod and Hangal Talukas of Uttara Kannada and Haveri districts. This center runs 5 village hostels, mainly for the Primary and the High school students.
1. Total number of villages 79
2. No of Self-Help Groups. 389
3. No. of children’s clubs. 117
4. No. of village hostels. 13
5. Child resource centers 4 in the villages
6. Tailoring centers: 3 with 75 students
7. Computer center: 2 with 185 students
8. Evening tuition centers: 40